The Truth About Mold

moldMold is a type of fungus, made of decomposers of non-living organic materials, such as foliage and wood. Because they are tiny, your eyes can’t see the spores and hair-like bodies of mold colonies, and they can only be seen with a microscope. When a lot of mold colonies are growing together, they appear blue, black, or green.

Typically, molds grow in wet, damp, and humid conditions. Although showers and basements are areas susceptible to mold growth, mold can grow in any moist area in the home. Some areas in the home that are predisposed to mold are:

  • Wallpaper/Ceiling Tiles/Paneling
  • Flooring
  • Furniture
  • Ductwork
  • Roofing
  • Plumbing Pipes Areas

Additionally, mold can come into the home from outdoors through open windows, open doors, or vents. Furthermore, it can be carried inside by pets, as well as attaching to your shoes or clothing. Besides having a color, mold can have a musty odor.

Health Risks of Mold

Because living in a totally mold-free environment is virtually impossible, we are exposed to mold every day. As mold grows, the spores evaporate into the air and are easily inhaled, making individuals who inhale a large number of spores very sick. Due to health concerns, this is the main reason it is recommended to remove mole in the home as soon as it is visible.

Mold can cause many health issues. It is not toxic or poisonous, but it produces allergens, irritants, and toxins that can cause severe reactions. A reaction to mold depends on the age, the amount of mold exposure, and the individual’s sensitivities or allergies. Simply put, one person’s reaction to mold exposure can be considerably different for another person exposed to the same amount of mold. Symptoms from touching or inhaling mold include:

  • Watery Eyes
  • Sneezing
  • Skin Rash/Itching/Dermatitis
  • Runny Nose
  • Nasal Congestion